Women's Health Physiotherapy is the therapeutic treatment of all disorders affecting the pelvis and pelvic floor for women of all stages of life. This includes obstetric (ante / postnatal) and gynaecological problems.A staggering 32% of all women in the UK experience some urinary incontinence and 50% of mothers who had a natural birth will suffer from a prolapse. These problems can be prevented and most conditions are treatable regardless of age.
Sophie is our women's health specialist physiotherapist who has a wealth of experience the treatment of pregnancy-related musculoskeletal pain and postnatal and menopausal gynaecological problems. All treatment sessions are conducted in private treatment rooms with targeted hands-on therapy.
Pregnancy can be a challenging time for the body due to hormonal and postural changes. Weakness of the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor can lead to aches and pains in the back and pelvic and loss of bladder control.
Sophie can help you with:
- Pregnancy pain such as back pain, pelvic girdle pain, rib pain, perineal pain or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Physical preparation for labour (breathing exercises, massage and relaxation)
- Pregnancy Pilates
The Mummy MOT:
Pregnancy and childbirth can leave new mums with muscle imbalances and altered alignment around the pelvis and lower back. If these imbalances are left untreated then pain, incontinence, prolapse or the tummy gap will persist.
The Mummy MOT is a specialist postnatal assessment recommended for all women following delivery – whether 6 weeks or many years after. Sophie is a Mummy MOT practitioner and provides a 1-hour comprehensive postnatal examination and physiotherapy treatment plan looking at posture, breathing, tummy gap (rectus diastasis) and pelvic floor strength. A bespoke postnatal recovery programme will be devised especially for you, your lifestyle and fitness goals.
The Mummy MOT includes:
- Posture analysis
- Full back and pelvis assessment
- Abdominal muscle assessment, including check for muscle separation using real-time ultrasound
- Pelvic floor muscle assessment and re-training
- Postnatal Pilates exercises to aid safe return to exercise
Many women suffer from incontinence at some point in their lives. Due to the embarrassing nature of symptoms a high proportion of women suffer in silence.
Sophie can help you with:
- Bladder problems such as stress incontinence, urge incontinence or overactive bladder
- Bowel problems such as loss of control or constipation
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Painful intercourse
- Menopausal conditions and symptoms
- Preparation for or recovery following gynaecological surgery.
Treatment may include:
- Re-education of pelvic floor muscles
- Biofeedback and muscle stimulation for the pelvic floor
- Myofascial release
- Trigger point release
- Scar massage, mobilisation and desensitisation
- Acupuncture including dry needling
- Bladder retraining
- Lifestyle and dietary advice
- Tailored Pilates exercise programme
Sophie works from our Chelsea clinic on a Thursday afternoon.
If you would like to book an appointment with Sophie then please call our admin team on 0207 482 3875. If you have a question about this service then please email Sophie dorect on firstname.lastname@example.org