Complete Physio has re-opened at four clinic sites to provide face-to-face consultations where deemed essential and clinically appropriate.
Complete Physio continues to follow the national guidance provided by NHS England, Public Health England and our regulating body, the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy with regards to implementing policies and processes in relation to COVID-19 and maintaining a safe environment for patients and staff.
Screening patients for face-to-face consultations
Any patients wishing to book for a face-to-face consultation will be screened initially by telephone and/or email against the following screening criteria:-
- Do they (or does anyone that they co-habit with) have symptoms of covid-19, or had symptoms of covid-19 within the last fourteen days?
- Does their clinical presentation require a face-to-face consultation or could the consultation reasonably by provided remotely / by video
- Patients are also screened for specific high risk criteria. Covid-19 high-risk criteria include age > 70 , BMI >40 , BAME ethnicity , weakened immune system , comorbidities that cause immunosuppression , diabetes , rheumatoid arthritis, pre-existing infections , long term steroid use and patients with known cancer diagnosis and currently having active Rx.
- Whilst Complete Physio continue to take all reasonable steps to minimise any risks to patients (including observing social distancing measures , infection control and PPE) we acknowledge that physiotherapy may have inherent risks in that it often requires close physical contact (<2m for >15mins) which may increase risks of exposure and transmission of COVID-19. We ask all patients to provide consent that they are aware of this issue.
- Patient will be asked for consent to share their email and telephone contact details with NHS track and trace service should we be required to do so
Does the patients condition require a face-to-face consultation ?
Complete Physio is will perform a risk assessment in relation to every request for face-to-face consultation. The screening is performed by our clinical directors and clinic managers. Clinical judgement will be based upon the information provided and we shall contact patients for further information where necessary. Below are examples of the type of criteria that may be deemed to warrant a face-to-face consultation. This list is not exhaustive.
- Patient’s symptoms are deteriorating despite undertaking remote physiotherapy consultations.
- Patient has failed to improve despite attempts using a range of reasonable approaches that have been performed under remote consultation.
- Patient’s presentation requires a physical assessment in order to screen for signs and symptoms that may significantly change a patient’s treatment of management.
- Patient’s clinical history suggests the need for an assessment e.g. diagnostic ultrasound scan or treatment e.g. injection, which cannot be provided remotely
What changes can patients expect when attending for their appointment ?
More information regarding the changes Complete Physio has implemented can be found on our ‘clinics re-opening‘ web-page
- Patients attending for face-to-face consultation are also advised of the personal protective equipment (PPE) that will be worn by their treating physiotherapist. This will normally include a face mask, a plastic apron and gloves and, depending on the consultation type, may also require the use of protective goggles or a protective visor. The specific requirements relating to PPE use is made under the guidance of the government’s Infection & Prevention Control Policy and Guidelines.
- Patients are also advised that they will be requested to wear PPE, normally a face mask and possibly also rubber gloves depending upon the exact requirements of the consultation. If patients arriving without PPE will be this equipment as they enter into the clinic area.
- Patients will be asked to wash or sanitize their hands before entering the clinic room
- Patients are also advised that government guidelines around social distancing and covid-19 secure systems and processes are being observed within our clinics and waiting areas and, therefore, additional steps of staggering of clinic times, gaps between patient consultation to allow cleaning of the waiting area and other such steps are being taken in order to minimise the chances of patient-to-patient contact.
If you have any questions regarding our face-to-face consultations please do not hesitate to contact us directly on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02074823875 .
On behalf of Complete Physio